Napoleon - Billy Joel - Tom Thumb - R2D2 - Joe 90
5 shorts - 4 more than we got today, but 3 less than are sitting in Mick’s porch !
So, you’ve been promoted and you prepare for life at a higher level in the wonderful sport that is hockey. What can you expect ?
To lose more than you win ? PERHAPS
To be tested ? ALMOST DEFINITELY
For Rushy to score ? PROBABLY, IT IS A SATURDAY
For Mick to leave half of the kit in Lichfield ? NO WAY PEDRO
Four games in and we have learned a little, but leaked a lot. As we reflect on our trip to Stourport and before we take on Sutton, I would like to share a few reflections with you :
1. Preparation prevents poor performance - to play as a team, we must prepare as one. That means being pitchside ready to warm up 30 minutes before the start. No excuses.
2. Two choices - head up or head down ? Choose the right one for the full 70 minutes and let me know if you are available for selection.
3. Self belief. Some of the greatest players, leaders, individuals and teams have times when they question themselves (apparently - Ed). Just recognise that this is completely natural, and that it is an obstacle, so your choice is either hurdle it or to walk away.
4. Forget last year - nothing should give us collectively greater pride than doing our best at a higher level this year.
5. Shape - Purpose - Discipline. I say this every Saturday. So, ask yourself what it means to you and the team. Answer your question and act upon it.
And to the game - what do we take from it ?
Yogi - some great saves which kept the score line down
Charlie - assured display, don’t doubt yourself - we don’t
Mike - really solid return after several weeks out, well done on a full 70
Mick - gave away a couple of shorts, which was impressive as he didn’t bring any (?)
Tony - worked hard, no bananas ?
James - unphased by the demands of central midfield, candidate for MVP ( that’s MOM in English)
Max - unselfish and prepared to play out of position, well done and remember we learn more when we lose
Rushy - MOM - sterling effort in midfield, lethal flick
Jack - adjusting to the demands of the new division, stay positive - we need you
Keith - great teacher of French; owes Dominic about £5 though as a result
Dan - great flexibility, prepared to play out of position for much of the game,well done
JH - couldn’t help himself with a 2nd half cameo - please wash codpiece before passing back to Yogi
Pat - loves a Spaghetti Western - although today she only watched the Bad and the Ugly (sorry, our collective bad ?)
And what do I take from today ?
1. A firm belief that we are not “ punching our weight” - we must believe in ourselves
2. Value possession or absorb the oppression
3. A handbag (a lovely little Gucci number) that their Number 75 dropped and refused to claim after the game. Don’t know why because it had his initials on it.
4. Complete confidence that Stourport are another team that we can and will turnover after Christmas.